Dhaba Style Egg Curry Recipe
If you love Dhaba food then this curry will be a hit at home. It's super simple to make and it's filled with fresh spices, ginger garlic, and cooked in a Dahi tomato sauce, making it absolutely delicious. It takes 30 minutes from start to finish for a perfect weekday dinner.
- 6 eggs
To grill an egg
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
For the sauce
- 1.5 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon of ginger and garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of Garma Masala
- 1/2 teaspoon of Kashmiri red chilli (paprika substitute)
- 1 chopped green pepper (optional)
- 2 medium onions (finely chopped about 1 cup)
- 1 tbsp Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- salt to taste
First, in a saucepan, cover the eggs with cold water. Let boil and cook the eggs 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer the eggs to cold water. When comfortable to handle, peel.
Then, toss the peeled hard-boiled eggs in 1/4 each of salt, turmeric, and chili powder.
Heat the oil in a skillet. When the oil is hot, add the eggs to the pan. Stir over medium heat until you see small brown blisters. Remove and keep aside.
In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil and butter. When hot, add the dry red chili and sauté for 30 seconds until smoked.
Add chopped onion, sauté for 3-4 minutes. The onion will soften and begin to brown.
Add the ginger and garlic paste. Sauté for a minute, stirring in between.
When there is no raw smell of ginger and garlic, lower the heat. Add cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric, red pepper powder, Kashmiri red pepper powder. Sauté for 30 seconds, until aromatic. Sprinkle with little water to prevent it from burning.
Add the chopped tomatoes. Cook until the tomato is soft and mushy.
Add the chopped green chili and the crushed Kasuri methi. Mix well.
When you see oil separating from the mixture, it's time to add water.
Season with salt, add the garam masala and the fried eggs to the pan.
Mix everything together and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
Happy Cooking Time.