CANTONESE BEEF RICE BOWLS
This is a very easy bowl of Cantonese ground beef cooked with a sauce made from oyster sauce, onions, green peas and runny eggs. Garnish with rice or steamed noodles for a filling and healthy meal.
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 1 medium onion (finely diced)
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth (590 mL)
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 pound of ground beef (450g)
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch (mixed with 2 tablespoons of water)
- steamed rice (for serving)
First, heat a wok over high heat and add a tablespoon of oil. Add the ground beef and cook until lightly browned, breaking up any large pieces of beef. Add the onion, garlic and Shaoxing wine and lower the heat to medium. Cook until the onion is translucent, then add the chicken broth.
Then, bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a boil. Stir in the oyster and soy sauces, sesame oil and white pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the cover, add the peas and sauté for a minute.
Stir the cornstarch porridge (since the starch will separate from the water when left to stand) and pour the porridge into the sauce, stirring constantly. The sauce should thicken until it covers a spoon. If it's not thick enough, add more cornstarch porridge (a few teaspoons at a time) or just let the sauce simmer and reduce a little longer. If it is too thick, add a little water. You can make these adjustments until the sauce reaches the desired consistency. Serve over steamed rice! Happy Cooking Time.