GROUND TACO CASSEROLE
This creamy taco casserole dish is a fabulous dish that will appeal to young and old alike, everyone loves it! With a few ingredients, which we usually have at home, you can create a feast that will be loved by everyone, family and friends. If you are not a fan of spicy dishes, no problem!
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 jar of salsa (14.5 ounces) use your favorite type
- 1 can (14 fluid ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded Tex-Mex cheese blend (or use cheddar cheese)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 cups of crushed Doritos I used the nacho cheese flavor
- Toppings (optional, to taste): tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, avocado, black olives, sour cream, iceberg lettuce, etc.
First, preheat the oven to 350F and move the rack to the center position. Prepare your ingredients.
Then, add the oil and ground beef to a skillet. Cook, breaking up the meat as you go, for 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
Stir in the onion, chili powder, garlic powder and ground cumin and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, add the crushed Doritos in an even layer to the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish (or similar size).
If there is a lot of excess fat in the pan, remove most of it. Stir in the beans, corn, salsa and half the cheese. Let heat (until the cheese melts).
Distribute the beef mixture evenly over the Doritos.
Garnish the casserole dish with the rest of the cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Meanwhile, prepare the toppings. Serve the pan as is or with your favorite toppings. Happy Cooking Time.