Instant Pot Chinese Lamb Stew
Easy to Prepare Hong Kong Classic Favorite Instant Pot Chinese Lamb Stew! Super tender and juicy lamb bursting with deep salty-umami-sweet flavors, dipped in the addictive killer sauce. The ultimate delicious comfort food that you will keep coming for more!
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 10 grams of powdered sugar
- 15 slices of ginger
- 2½ pounds of lamb breast
- (cut into 2 inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 3 pieces of fermented red bean curd
- 6 green onions (white and green parts separated)
- 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 1 dried tangerine zest
- 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
- ¼ cup Zhu Hou or Chee Hou sauce
- 1-2 star anise (optional)
- 4 small carrots (cut into pieces)
- Salt (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons of Shaoxing wine
- 6 dried Shiitake mushrooms (washed, soaked and cut in half + mushroom reconstitution water)
- 1 small bamboo shoot (peeled and cut into thin slices)
- 6 bean threads / sticks (soaked until softened and cut into large chunks, these can be made the night before)
- A small head of romaine lettuce or a quarter of a head of iceberg lettuce (coarsely chopped)
First, boil enough water to blanch the lamb. Once the water has boiled, add the lamb and 4 slices of ginger. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 more minute. Turn off the heat, drain and rinse the lamb. Put aside.
Then, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok over medium heat. Add the remaining ginger, the white parts of the green onions and the powdered sugar. Cook for a few minutes before adding the fermented red bean curd and zhu hou sauce. Stir and let it cook for a few minutes, over medium-low heat.
Then turn up the heat and add the lamb, stirring to evenly coat the lamb in the sauce. Add star anise (if applicable), Shaoxing wine, black soy sauce, light soy sauce, oyster sauce, tangerine zest, shiitake mushrooms, mushroom water and enough additional water to cover all the ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil. Then immediately lower the heat to simmer for 1 hour over medium / low heat. Stir the stew every 20 minutes to keep it from sticking.
While the lamb is simmering, prepare the carrots, bamboo shoots and bean threads. Also, wash the lettuce, shake off excess water and place it in the bottom of a large serving bowl.
Once the lamb is tender (taste test!), Add the carrots, bamboo shoots and bean threads. Cook for another 15 to 20 minutes over medium heat until the carrots are softened. If you still have too much liquid, cook the stew with the lid on for the last 10 minutes. Salt to taste, stir in the green parts of the scallions and serve on your prepared bed of lettuce. Happy Cooking Time.