MEXICAN CHICKEN AND RICE
Mexican Chicken and Rice made with Mexican chicken and rice seasoned with vegetables baked in the oven until tender in the oven.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ white onion, finely diced
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 can (10 oz.) Old El Paso Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or Mexican mixed cheese
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 can (10 oz.) Diced tomatoes and green peppers, undrained
- (optional) Toppings: sour cream, tomatoes, diced avocado, cilantro
First, in a large skillet (about 12 inches) or skillet, brown the onions in two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Then, once the onions are soft, increase the heat to medium-high and add the chicken to the pan.
Brown the chicken pieces and add the garlic. Cook for about 1 minute longer.
Push the chicken to one side of the pan and add an extra tablespoon of olive oil to the other side.
Add the uncooked rice in the olive oil and sauté for a few minutes.
Add the enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes, water and cumin. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil then lower the heat to a boil and cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid.
Cook the chicken and rice mixture, covered, for about 15 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, making sure to stir occasionally.
Sprinkle cheese on top and cover with a lid, let stand for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Garnish with the desired toppings and eat!
Happy Cooking Time.