Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta is one of those slimming recipes everyone has heard of, no matter what diet you are following!
For the Cajun seasoning:
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- OR 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
For the chicken pasta:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth or bone broth
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 12 ounces of gluten-free penne pasta with brown rice or chickpea pasta
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 14 ounces of precooked smoked sausage cut into slices (look for no added sugar) I love the Aidell brand
- 14.5 ounces can shoot roasted tomatoes
- Chopped parsley or green onion for garnish
First, if you are making your own seasoning, combine the ingredients for the Cajun seasoning in a medium bowl. If you are using a pre-made seasoning, add it to a medium bowl. Put aside.
Then, cut the chicken into 1/2-inch cubes and add to the medium bowl along with the Cajun seasoning. Toss to evenly coat the chicken in the seasoning using a wooden spoon. Put aside.
Add olive oil to the bottom of a deep skillet over medium-high heat and heat for a few minutes until the oil ripples. Add the seasoned chicken to the pan and cook, 1 to 2 minutes per side to brown the sides. The chicken does not need to be fully cooked yet.
Add the diced yellow onion and smoked sausage to the pan with the chicken and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is tender and translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the penne, the fire-roasted tomatoes with the juice and the broth to the chicken, sausage and onions. Stir until combined, then close the lid of the pot and let it boil over medium-high heat.
Once boiling, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer the pasta for about 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. If you are using chickpea pasta, be careful with the pan as it tends to foam. When cooked, the mixture should be thick and crisp and the pasta should be tender.
Add the coconut cream to the pan and stir until melted and combined. Happy Cooking Time.