This sausage casserole is packed with flavor, with a blend of warming spices and chunks of chorizo. It's a great winter family dinner. Moreover, it can also be made in advance!
- 8 mild Italian sausages
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup (118 mL) red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 cups (384 grams) canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (128 grams) yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- Small pinch of red pepper flakes, more if you like it spicier
- 30 ounces (878 grams) cannellini / white beans
First, in a braising pan or high-sided skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Brown the sausages for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown (they do not need to be cooked), remove from the pan.
Then, in the same pan, add the onions (add more oil if necessary) and cook until they start to soften. Add the garlic and rosemary, stir and cook for 1 minute without letting it brown. Add the tomato paste and the red pepper flakes and mix. Add the wine and mix well, scraping the golden bits from the bottom of the pan.
Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the tomatoes break down and become crisp.
Add the beans and mix well. Put the sausages in the beans and simmer an additional 10 minutes, covered. Happy Cooking Time.