Slow Cooker Pea and Ham Soup
I love I love slow cooker ham and pea soup in the winter or even in the fall. I make a big batch at the start of winter and freeze in single portions.
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 150 g (5.5 oz) celery, chopped
- 250g (9oz) thick lean bacon (or thick ham), chopped
- 300 g (1.5 cups) yellow split peas
- salt and black pepper
- 200g (7oz) carrots, chopped
- 100 g (3.5 oz) onion, chopped
- 5 cups (1.2 liters) chicken or vegetable broth
- cooking oil spray
- parsley – optional
First, spray a large saucepan with a little spray oil on medium-high heat.
Then, add the bacon and sauté until golden, remove and set aside
Spray the jar again with spray cooking oil and add the onion, garlic, carrots and celery and sauté until softened.
Add the split peas and broth and bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 1 hour.
Replace the bacon for the last 20 minutes of cooking.
The soup is ready when the peas are softened and the soup is thickened.
Taste and season as needed with salt and black pepper.
Stir in chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Serve and enjoy !!