Moroccan Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
A Moroccan lentil and sweet potato soup recipe that warms the soul. This soup is made in the slow cooker and requires virtually no work. Plus, it makes the whole house smell warm and cozy!
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 large carrot, diced (1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- Salt to taste
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth, then more if desired
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large sweet potato (16 oz), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (3-cup) cubes
- 1 cup brown lentils, picked up and rinsed
First, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook for 4 minutes.
Then, add garlic and ginger and sauté 1 minute more. Add 1 tablespoon of remaining olive oil, cumin, cilantro, turmeric, paprika and cinnamon.
Sauté for 1 minute. Stir in the vegetable broth, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and lentils. Season with salt to taste.
Bring to a light boil then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot and simmer, stirring occasionally until the sweet potatoes are tender and the lentils are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Dilute with up to 1 more cup of broth if desired. Stir in half the cilantro then serve with the rest of the cilantro. Happy Cooking Time.