CHEESY SHRIMP AND GRITS
Cheesy Shrimp and Grits is a cozy Southern staple topped with a creamy gravy and loaded with cheddar cheese that's ready in just half an hour!
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of heavy cream
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 8 bacon slices, cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 2 to 3 minced garlic cloves (should be an ample teaspoon)
- 2 or 3 good shakes of hot sauce ie, Tabasco
- 1 cup quick or regular corn grits ... not instant
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 white and green shallots, chopped (3 for cooking, 1 for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice, usually the juice of a whole lemon
First, in a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a boil.
Then, stir in the oatmeal and cook over moderately high heat, stirring vigorously at first to remove any lumps (Keep stirring periodically until the kernels thicken and the kernels are tender - about 4 to 5 minutes in total. If using regular oatmeal, it will take up to 45 minutes.)
Add the cream, butter and cheese and stir gently. Cover and remove from heat.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp.
Transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
Pour all but 4 tablespoons of the bacon fat into the pan and heat through.
Sprinkle black pepper over the shrimp, then add them to the hot pan and cook until curled and pink, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, parsley, green onions, paprika, Worcestershire, Tabasco and lemon juice.
Meanwhile, crumble the bacon into slightly smaller pieces, set aside.
Divide the hot cheese grits among 4 shallow serving bowls and top each with a quarter of the shrimp mixture.
Top with reserved bacon and scallions. Serve immediately!