BACON FRENCH LENTIL SOUP
Rich in vegetables and bacon, this lentil soup is a hearty and healthy meal in itself.
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cups of quality chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large leek, chopped, rinsed well and drained
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup French lentils from Le Puy, aka French lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces of bacon, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 medium celeriac, aka celery root, diced
- 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
First, in a pot, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until cooked through. Add the onions and cook until tender, translucent and golden, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the celeriac, leek and carrots and cook an additional 4 to 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Add the lentils and cook for another minute or two. Add all remaining ingredients except the parsley and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Then, stir in the parsley and add salt and pepper to taste.
Happy Cooking Time.