CHICKEN WITH BLACK BEAN SAUCE
Chicken in black bean sauce is a Chinese restaurant favorite! But you don't have to order take out to enjoy it. With this recipe, you can cook it at home in just 30 minutes!
FOR THE CHICKEN MARINADE:
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 2 teaspoons of light soy sauce
- 2 chicken breasts
- (about 12 ounces / 340g, cut into 1/8-inch thick slices)
- 3 teaspoons of cornstarch
FOR THE REST OF THE DISH:
- 3 slices of ginger (julienned)
- 1 green pepper (cut into small pieces)
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed and chopped)
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine
- 3 tablespoons of oil (Divided)
- 3 green onions (chopped and separated into white and green parts)
- 3 tablespoons fermented black beans (washed and drained)
- 1 red pepper (cut into small pieces)
- ¼ teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons of water
First, combine the chicken and marinade ingredients in a bowl and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
Then, preheat your wok over high heat, until it starts to smoke. This step is essential because it prevents the chicken from sticking to the wok. With your spatula, spread 2 tablespoons of oil on the bottom of the wok. Add the chicken and quickly spread the pieces in a single layer. Let the chicken cook for about 30 seconds, turn it over and cook the other side for another 30 seconds. The chicken is cooked once it turns opaque - be careful not to overcook it. Turn off the heat, transfer the chicken to a dish and set aside.
Then heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the wok over medium heat. Add the ginger and cook for 15 seconds. Then add the garlic, the white parts of the green onions and the black beans. Stir for another 30 seconds. Now raise the fire to the maximum. Add green and red peppers and sauté for about a minute. Add the sugar, Shaoxing wine, salt, chicken, 2 tablespoons of water and the green parts of the green onion. Sauté everything quickly to coat it well with the sauce and serve!