Chinese Chicken and Mushrooms
Chinese Chicken and Mushrooms is a delicious, fragrant stew with the addition of dried shiitake mushrooms and umami sauce. A classic Chinese dish, this home-style comfort food makes an appearance on my dinner table regularly.
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 1 2-inch piece of grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup dried Chinese black mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms
- 8 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 green onion, cut into rings
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed until smooth with 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 large chicken breasts (or 4 chicken thighs), cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons of Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- ¼ cup mushroom broth Made from reserved liquid from mushroom steeping
First, in a small bowl, soak the mushrooms in boiling water for 20 minutes or until tender.
Then, remove the mushrooms from the water with a skimmer and squeeze to remove any excess liquid. Reserve 1/4 of the liquid and set aside (this is the mushroom broth).
Heat a wok over medium-high to high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the heated wok. Add the garlic and ginger to the hot oil. Sauté for about 30 seconds.
Add the chicken and sauté for about a minute. Add the fresh mushrooms and cook until tender and the liquid they release is cooked.
Add the soaked mushrooms and sauté for another 2 or 3 minutes.
Add the oyster sauce, dark and light soy sauce, rice wine or sherry, mushroom broth and cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil and sauté until mushrooms are coated and sauce has thickened (another 2-3 minutes).
Stir in the green onion. Serve immediately with fried rice or a side dish of your choice. Happy Cooking Time.